Rogers N Gateway – SMCD3GN is a DOCSIS 3.0 modem/router along with N WiFi.  The Rogers N Gateway – SMCD3GN is required for their 25 (Extreme plus) and 50Mbps (Ultimate) Internet packages.

When I originally set up this modem after upgrading to the 25Mbps Extreme plus service there was no documentation included with the device stating the default IP address, user name or password to login to it.  As I figured out there are actually two accounts that you can use to log into the Rogers N Gateway – SMCD3GN.

1. Default IP address: 192.168.0.1
  2. User name: cusadmin – Password: password
  3. User name: rogcesadmin – Password: wra8uje

Ironically the one Rogers technician I talked to didn’t even know about the second login and took the information down for future reference.

In terms of which account you should use I recommend using only the rogcesadmin account as all device features/settings are available using this account.  For instance if you want to use the SMCD3GN as just a modem (bridge mode) you’ll need to log in as the rogcesadmin to disable all commercial gateway functions.  See screenshot below.  If you do disable all commercial gateway functions on the SMCD3GN I recommend disabling the wireless on it first. If you don’t, you’ll notice that you’ll always see the default SSID for the SMCD3GN available although it’s useless and cannot be connected to. Please note that once you disable all commerical gateway functions on the SMCD3GN it will reboot and you can no longer login to the modem and will need to perform a reset by pressing the reset button on the back of the SMCD3GN for 30 seconds.  This will of course reset it to factory defaults allowing you to login as well as enabling the router/wireless capabilities.

SMCD3GN Bridge Mode

Disable All commercial gateway functions

What’s interesting about the SMCD3GN is that on Rogers website for this device they state: “Enhanced wireless range delivers maximum signal strength anywhere in the home.”  I can tell you right now, that is an incorrect statement.  If you live in an apartment or your residence is only 1 floor of a house you’ll be fine.  If you live in a multi-floored residence (typical house) the SMCD3GN performs poorly for signal strength and network speeds.  There’s no external antenna on the SMCD3GN so that’s one clue as to the extent of it’s wireless strength but test results posted below will show just how weak the signal strength of the SMCD3GN really is.

I performed speed tests in 4 different spots in my house.  I tested using a laptop with an Intel wireless AGN wireless card on N mode.  My SMCD3GN  device is located at the front of my house on the second floor. I performed my first set of tests using the SMCD3GN N wireless and the second test using my NTI WF-2406 N wireless router with the SMCD3GN in bridge mode.  On both tests I used the same wireless channel, encryption methods and server.  There was no other network traffic during both sets of tests.  The following screenshots tell the story.

SMCD3GN - 5 feet - Speed test

SMCD3GN - 5 feet - Speed test

NTI WF-2406 - 5 feet - Speed test

NTI WF-2406 - 5 feet - Speed test

SMCD3GN - 30 feet - Speed test

SMCD3GN - 30 feet - Speed test - Direct line of sight (horizontal)

NTI WF-2406 - 30 feet - Speed test

NTI WF-2406 - 30 feet - Speed test - Direct line of sight (horizontal)

SMCD3GN - 40 feet - Speed test

SMCD3GN - 40 feet - Speed test - 1st floor of house (back)

NTI WF-2406 - 40 feet - Speed test

NTI WF-2406 - 40 feet - Speed test - 1st floor of house (back)

SMCD3GN - 60 feet - Speed test

SMCD3GN - 60 feet - Speed test - Basement of house (back)

NTI WF-2406 - 60 feet - Speed test

NTI WF-2406 - 60 feet - Speed test - Basement of house (back)

As you can see even at 30 feet the Rogers N Gateway – SMCD3GN is really starting to struggle and that’s direct line of sight with zero interference. As far as I’m concerned the N wireless capabilities of the SMCD3GN are pretty weak at best. You can get better signal strength from a cheap wireless G router. As a modem the SMCD3GN does exactly as it’s supposed to and performs admirably. I haven’t had to reset the modem yet for any performance related issues and I’ve been using it for over a month now.

Comments

This entry was posted on Sunday, October 3rd, 2010 at 1:45 pm and is filed under Electronics, Internet, Reviews, Technology. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

117 Comments so far

1. Vuitton on October 22, 2010 5:08 pm

hey there, i have problem to log in to the Gateway setup web page, the user account that u provide isn’t work, do you know why.

I try to go inside and change my wireless password(too many friends know it), I can only connect 2 computer with this device, i dont know why, is that normal? once my iphone connect to wifi, one of my PC internet will not work.

2. Jono Cono on October 24, 2010 8:58 am

I would say your best bet is to use the reset button on the back of the SMCD3GN. Press and hold it for at least 30 seconds and then it will reboot with factory defaults. At that point you should be able to log back into the SMCD3GN using either of the default usernames and passwords. Resetting the device will also reset your wireless settings so you can change the SSID, Security and Password. Hopefully this will clear up the network issue you’re having as well.

3. Unknown on November 2, 2010 7:47 pm

Can anyone help me here? Just like mentioned above how to disable the GATEWAY functions of the Router, unfortunately when i log in to the system 192.168.0.1 i don’t have the same options as shown in the picture way up top, under system i only have Enable UpNp and Enable HNAP…. is there a hidden control?

4. Unknown on November 2, 2010 7:49 pm

never mind, thanks i figured it out, maybe i should had read more lol

5. Jono Cono on November 3, 2010 8:07 pm

Cheers!

6. Peter on November 9, 2010 6:23 am

to log in as mentioned above, do not copy and paste the user name and password, it will not work, rather type it in then you will have access.

7. Dave on November 14, 2010 5:07 pm

Anyone know why my modem would continuously reboot? As per the online tech I swapped it at the store but still I can’t get online seems to reboot at the point where it looks for a connect right after the online light goes solid. A tech is coming out tomorrow but still I like figure this out.

8. Jono Cono on December 1, 2010 10:08 am

That’s a strange one, not sure why that would be happening. Haven’t experienced that issue or heard of this happening before. Let me know what happens…

9. jay on December 2, 2010 3:03 pm
  10. Jono Cono on December 4, 2010 12:39 am

Jay, did you disable all commercial gateway functions on the SMC Gateway? If you did you won’t be able to access the web interface again unless you reset it back to factory defaults.

11. Dan Behman on January 10, 2011 1:38 pm

If I enable the bridge mode, will I still be able to use all 4 of the Gigabit LAN connections on the SMCD3GN?

12. tyrese on January 15, 2011 3:57 am

i have tried all the possible ip address i have come across for the smcd3gn router modem,i still cant get into the web managemnet, i dont know what im doing wrong. any one help.

13. Jono Cono on February 17, 2011 9:40 am

If you enable bridge mode it will disable the use of it as a router. You will be able to use one of the Gigabit LAN ports to push through to a router so if you have a Gigabit router you’ll be fine.

14. Jono Cono on February 17, 2011 9:41 am

If you’re unable to access the SMCD3GN via any of the typical IP addresses I would perform a factory reset on it and then try again. For some reason I believe I had to do that at one point due to the same issue.

15. ben on March 8, 2011 4:56 pm

Please advise what I can do to boost my wireless signal with this modem Rogers N Gateway – SMCD3GN. It is getting annoying since I have a 3 lebel house and the modem is located at the basement home office.
    Appreciate your help. Thank you,
    Ben

16. WC on March 12, 2011 6:27 pm

Wow, thx, works like a charm in bridge mode…

17. Chargers on April 1, 2011 9:38 pm

Man before I found this page, I’ve only got the cusadmin/password login for the stupid modem and I wasn’t able to find where to disable all commercial gateways so that I can use my wireless router. Thank you for posting the other login/password as I don’t think they were provided along with the modem. Which is bad for people with router already.

18. My frustration with Rogers SMCD3GN modem | The Web Tech Reviews on April 2, 2011 2:46 pm

[...] tech forum. And that one does not even give me full access to the cable modem. I finally found this site which solved my problem by providing me the second set of login which gives you the ability to [...]

19. Colin on April 23, 2011 10:25 pm

Thanks……..Robbers (Rogers) should much more easily inform customers on how to get rid of the “bloat ware” that they force on you. I work in IT and fly all around North America doing my thing so my home Internet isn’t important – I VPN and remote to machines so speed isn’t important. However I did decide to fork up the cash get the SMC (garbage) and upgrade my speed.

Of course as soon as I put in the SMC all my DYNDNS went down as did all my other HTTP and FTP servers.

One look at the SMC and I figured….”who would make a router that didn’t support DYNDNS?”

I’ve happily turned off all the Rogers junk and all my sites and everything else is running again.

Thanks ……..big help!

20. Ikrhumba on April 28, 2011 12:56 pm

People,

I’ve replaced our main switch, and the problem still persists. We also have 8 linksys routers that act as wireless access points, and I’ve double-checked that all of them have DHCP disabled. Invariably, I have to reboot our server to finally get everything going (and sometimes have to reset each client computer’s IP address).
    Rogers has reluctantly replaced the modem (they say that they can’t see anything wrong from their end). and yet the problem still persists.
    btw, we didn’t have any problems for about 2 weeks when we first switched over.

Does anybody have any thoughts about this?

21. Jono Cono on May 3, 2011 11:32 pm

A very interesting issue. Given that it happens at the same time and even with a replacement SMC box it’s stranger still. I had previously experienced an issue months ago where all of sudden every evening almost like clock work my Internet speed would drop to dial-up speeds or worse. As the days passed and the issue continued I started troubleshooting networking equipment etc and couldn’t find any issues. I started a ticket with Rogers and their L1 techs had no clue either. I had to push and push and finally found out that it was a known issue with the Rogers node in the neighbourhood. Once they fixed that the issue went away. I wonder if this could be something similiar…

22. Mike on May 6, 2011 10:01 am

Oh, happy happy happy!

Thanks for posting this. Turning off the NAT makes my Rogers Business connection WAY more useful (publicly accessible servers…), since I have my own multi-wan router.

23. ck on June 8, 2011 12:13 pm

Hi,

I have the same problem. I can only connect 2 computers at the same time with this device.

How to resolve this?

Thanks,
    CK

24. Kevin on June 11, 2011 8:02 am

I really appreciate your help. I agree that this wireless modem stinks as far as signal strength goes. I have a Linksis Wireless router that works far better, but am unable to access it’s settings to set password and such. Do I have to disable the SMC in order to do that?
    Thanks a whole lot.

25. Chris on June 26, 2011 7:50 pm

Perfect! Thank you!!!

26. Eric on July 1, 2011 9:08 pm

Hi, I did what it told me by disabling the Disable All Commercial Gateway functions and it rebooted and as it said, I cannot login into the modem. However, I have a d-link router that I hooked the internet cord into port 1 of the smc modem doesn’t work. I don’t know why! Help please!

27. GrantL on July 4, 2011 10:52 am

RE: Post re: change from Bell to Rogers….

“I have a problem….since the charitable organization I work for switched to Rogers from Bell a few months ago, our RAS (reliability/availability/stability) numbers have declined from 99+% to around 50%. Here are the symptomes:
    The SMCD3GN drops between 2:00am and 3:00am almost every day. In order to get our system back, I’ve had to reset the modem to factory settings and then re-configure it (unplugging and replugging doesn’t work most of the time).”

Sounds like the Windows Update services on your computers around 2-3a (default) or some other service (VPN remote backup?) are processing via internet router and possibly oversubscribing the SMC cable modem/router. I don’t know how many network devices you have internally, but that may be symptom. You could try playing with the QoS settings and see if turning it on or off makes a difference. Another option would be to replace the cable modem with a faster processor… all routers are not the same! Finally, you could try to change update settings to spread traffic over different times. Could be processor/memory issue on router as well… if spec’d to support full 50Mbps traffic. Can you observe stats on LAN ports on router… maybe bad port also, in which case, move traffic to another port and see if that helps…. Grant

28. GrantL on July 4, 2011 10:58 am

BTW… did anyone else notice the hidden wireless network RSS-66565D that is enabled by default on their SMC d3GN cable modem from ROGERS?! Sure, it has WPA2 encryption enabled but I don’t like idea of back door to my Internet connection and internal network… especially since ROGERS charges for bandwidth usage, not to mention security reasons. I also changed the REMOTE MGMT options to disable MSO (method ROGERS uses to administer the cable modem remotely) and changed the ROGCESADMIN account password… why would I want my wireless password being available to Rogers staff? I noticed you can run scripts remotely to D3GN to extract configuration information… for all I know Rogers is accessing my configuration and storing in a central repository… including my wireless password! If this is compromised, my home office is compromised… NO THANKS!
    …Grant

29. Derek on July 8, 2011 3:04 pm

I thought I would save money and just buy an wda-130 DLink Adapter to take advantage of the n-gate of Rogers SMCD3GN wireless, but alas… my DLink sees the my wireless network and is reporting 100% signal strength and voila — connected speed is a blistering almost nothing.?? How does that happen? My wife has the new Laptop and it’s built-in N adapter has fabulous speeds using Rogers wireless on the SMCD3GN using the same network. Any thoughts?

30. Help! My Guest Network is Missing! | Vegans With Typewriters on August 1, 2011 10:37 am

[...] directly on the SMC D3GN. I poked around a bit online and discovered that you theoretically can make the SMC D3GN work as just a plain old cable modem! It’s another holiday weekend here, so lets do another Holiday How-To Tutorial and fix this [...]

31. Bob on August 15, 2011 8:22 am

I am using a SMCD3gN modem. I just purchased the 60 mb. plan. My wired connection when tested will give me 60 plus on the performed speed tests. But using a Hawking wireless-108g transfer rate network adapter and other laptops, my speed test show only 1.5 to 3. I can be 2 feet from the modem or 15 feet and still get poor speed. The modem is set up on auto detect. I have not discovered any interferes.

32. Steven on August 18, 2011 12:37 am

This POS is really starting to get on my nerves. We run an extensive network with 5 laptops, 4 desktops, 4 Xbox 360s, 2 Wiis and 2 Ps3′s and with the D3GN, our network is always dropping on wireless and the router can’t seem to decide whether the NAT is OPEN, MODERATE or CLOSED. I was about ready to break the thing when I came across a link to this site. Thank you for this info, it has saved me from having to pay $200 to replace it.

33. Pete on August 20, 2011 6:28 pm

Thanks for the article. Before reading up about the SMCD3gN modem I thought perhaps I could take advantage of the router and/or wireless capabilities even though I already have router and wireless netwrok at home. I just upgraded from the 60GB plan to the 100GB didn’t make sense to me why an upgrade of the modem was necessary but i didn’t argue and went to my local Rogers store, happy to see no line up and that they had one available for me. I remembered the IP address as I recently helped a friend secure his wireless rogers network…didn’t know the username/pwd for the router as nothing in the box and Roger support site page on the router wasn’t responding…called Roger’s to get the cusadmin/password…only took the guy about 2 failed attempts before he had to ask someone else what it was. Logged in and looked at the settings,,(I was anxious to login as the wifi network was enabled without security by default.) played around with the settings a bit….and THEN i found this and other articles that were very informative and helpful…I disabled the Commercial Gateway functions after disabling the wifi and my home network seems to be back to normal..Initial speed tests look good with download speed usually faster than what Roger
    s claims. Very glad I din’t purchase this modem as I was considering, but also dissapointed to pay $7 a month to rent this when the old modem at $4 (previously $3) a month performed the same function….Hoping it remains stable as a modem. The rogsecadmin account doesn’t work on mine. Wondering if a firmware upgrade since earlier posts as I was able to disable the gateway with the cusadmin login………..Thanks for all the great information provided by author and commenters.

34. rw on September 5, 2011 3:35 pm

Ok this works, and saved me a ton of time. Modem works will in bridge mode and you need the above instructions to make it work. Thank you thank you.

35. bnc nic on September 17, 2011 7:03 am

bnc network…

[...]Rogers N Gateway – SMCD3GN at Dynamically Distinct Discourse[...]…

36. hardserve on September 20, 2011 1:35 pm

Brilliant – thanks for sharing the Rogers admin userid/password.

I use it strictly as a G access point for my older devices, and have a Trendnet router for N.

One feature I wish this SMC would support is DHCP Reservation. And you’re right, the signal strength coming out of this thing is very weak.

37. Sean on September 27, 2011 10:28 pm

Do you know if there is a way to turn on DDNS? Or if it’s even available? When i look at the specs for the 3dgn-res it seems that it is available. but i can’t seem to see it on the Rogers 3dgn that they provided.

Thanks in advance,

38. alyssa on September 28, 2011 9:49 pm

I had the same problem. the username and password no longer work. but, use this instead:
    USERNAME:mso
    PASSWORD:msopassword
    worked for me!

39. Online Cable Television on October 21, 2011 10:02 am

Online Cable Television…

[...]Rogers N Gateway – SMCD3GN at Dynamically Distinct Discourse[...]…

40. Will on October 23, 2011 9:42 pm

Hey everyone, I have a question.

I am using the SMCD3GN and disabled wireless and also disabled all commercial gateway functions. My roommate and I are now using an Airport Express as our wireless router. I have one ethernet cable going to my desktop and it works fine, and another going to the Airport Express and that works fine. My problem is: When I hook up my xbox 360 to the third ethernet port…it doesn’t work. My Xbox 360 says that there is a problem with the network and can’t connect.

Any have this issue and know a fix?

Thanks.

41. Jono Cono on October 23, 2011 10:03 pm

Hey Will,

To get your Xbox 360 on the network you’ll have to reset your SMCD3GN back to factory defaults. Currently the way you have it configured it’s acting as just a modem. You can then disable the wireless only on the SMCD3GN so the Airport Express can be the only wireless access point on your network. Once the routing capabilities of the SMCD3GN are back in play it’ll hand out addresses to all network devices including your Xbox.

42. SMCD3GN Default Login Issues - Hardware Canucks on October 25, 2011 8:42 am

[...] look here manual reset again with rogers cable off then power off, then power back up with cable connected [...]

43. Brian on October 25, 2011 7:27 pm

The rogcesadmin/wra8uje aren’t working and neither is mos/mospassword. The cusadmin/password do work.

Is this a case for resetting the modem?

Thanks

44. Anil on October 26, 2011 4:20 pm

rogcesadmin also not working for me!!!

45. Anil on October 26, 2011 4:33 pm

I reset the modem and everything.

mos/mospassword doesn’t work

please help, i don’t want to a) return this modem or b) reset all of the password/network fields using a 40ft-extended LAN cable bc rogers won’t let me do it over wifi :(

46. gary on October 26, 2011 8:46 pm

Hiya Jono Cono, ty for this site, looks like I found you a month early and changed the secret password to one of my own:)….I have a question when you have some time.
    I was going to turn off wireless and just hard wire everything in the network, I had bought an 8 port giga switcher and from what I understand I just connect that to 1 of the lan ports on the rogers router, then connect others to the new switch, is this correct.

Also, I have a d-link dir-625, would there be a benefit to me bridging the rogers router and using it as a cable modem only, if this is better to do, would I then connect 1 of the lan ports on the rogers to the wan port on the dlink or to one of the lan ports on the dlink.

Thanx so much for your info on this site and for any more that you can provide for my questions:)

47. Jono Cono on October 26, 2011 9:18 pm

Hey Gary,

No worries, thanks for visiting. If you’re looking to go hard wired only, here’s the best way to do it with the hardware you have. Disable wireless on the SMCD3GN but continue to use the Rogers SMCD3GN as your router. The reason for this is that the SMCD3GN has 10/100/1000 LAN ports whereas the dir-625 only has 10/100 LAN ports. Using the SMCD3GN as your router and linking it to your Gigabit switch you’ll have a full hardwired Gigabit network. If you end up wanting to use wireless later on you can setup your dir-625 to act as just a wireless access point on your network and connect it to the switch. That would entail disabling DHCP on the dir-625 and setting it with a static IP. Hope that helps!

48. Gary on October 27, 2011 3:11 pm

You have been a fantastic help to me, tyvm, that was my feeling as well, but I could never find the proper specs listed for the modem from rogers.
    I saw others listed with different letters after the main name and saw what you just said, about the giga ports, but could never find out if the rogers one was the same.

1 last question:), I’m aware of what the giga system will give me, that is why I bought the giga switch, thing is, I have always error ed on the side of caution and never bothered with a “home network”, I always had the 4 computers set up independently from each other with all of the Netbios settings disabled on all the adapters.

Is this being overly paranoid,lol, or is it not a bad practice if I don’t mind manually moving files around with an esata drive.

I guess my question is, does the dlink router offer better security features then the rogers one and if I wanted to setup a proper home network, would I need to enable Netbios communication on all the computers.

Long winded, I know and apologize, I always like folks to understand what I mean, if possible:)

Thanx again, you just helped me understand how to set up the wireless access point.

49. Justin on October 28, 2011 10:22 am

here’s a question: I’m trying to my wireless to allow to play the wii online, and it keeps asking for a password, any ideas whatthe password is for the SMCD3GN?

50. dmz on October 28, 2011 11:28 am

I can confirm SMC/Rogers has pushed out a new firmware update for the SMC3DGN – my software version now reads 1.4.0.44-DNS-RRR, and the old rogcesadmin/wra8uje un/pw combo no longer works, even with a reset.

No one seems to know the new password – not even the Rogers support people can see the new info – it is auto-entered for them when they are running diagnostics on your modem.

Now I can’t turn off the spurious wireless channel, or block incoming pings, or change the DHCP range, etc. etc. If someone manages to “crack” the new un/pw, it would be much appreciated if you could share this info.

As of now, we ALL are vulnerable to undetectable attacks through these insecure setups – I can’t believe Rogers made such a stupid choice. The Cisco modem they have recently added to their Extreme tier is G-only – !!!!!. Clueless.

Thanks for listening, I’m frustrated…

dmz

51. Anil on October 28, 2011 7:04 pm

Yes, I agree with this. If we’re able to find a new password, let’s do it. Otherwise, we’re stuck indefinitely using the craptacular router capabilities that obviously are limiting our signal strength.

52. ahal10 on October 28, 2011 9:32 pm

The rogcesadmin/wra8uje password no longer works.

It seems that there must have just recently been a firmware update pushed out to disable this. I had previously changed the rogcesadmin password to my own personal one and customized all of my settings. I had to do a factory reset on the modem today and suddenly I cannot login using the rogcesadmin login, both my password or with the wra8uje one.

A Rogers rep on the phone told me ‘the login we use has never changed’ so I’m not sure what that’s about – but he also told me he cannot access my modem so my settings blocking external access must either still be active or something strange is going on…

If ANYBODY has any info as to what the new login is.. please, post it here… cheers!

53. Jono Cono on October 29, 2011 5:32 pm

Gary,

It’s a little paranoid however it’s also very secure. To create a true hardwired home network you would have to enable any settings previously disabled to prevent network communication. The D-link router doesn’t have any extra features that would make it better or more secure as a router versus the SMCD3GN.

Cheers.

54. Jono Cono on October 29, 2011 5:34 pm

Well it looks like we’re all back to where we originally started when we all received our SMCD3GN modem/router from Rogers. Hopefully someone finds out the current user name/password and can post it here. It may even take a phone call requesting a Rogers phone rep to escalate to one of their engineers to find out the information.

55. Michael on October 30, 2011 8:13 pm

Today I got a SMCD3GN from Rogers and since bringing it home all I have done so far is connect it directly to a single PC. I logged in using the rogcesadmin/wra8uje id/pw combo fine (but I have NOT yet connected the Rogers coax connection to this device). It would appear that the id/pw combo I mentioned above IS still valid on new devices as they’re shipped to Rogers, but what you guys are saying is that the firmware is being overwritten when connected to the Rogers network once you plug the coax line in.

What I’m wondering is whether those of you who did this setup previously (those who were up and running with your SMCD3GN in bridge mode before any firmware updates pushed down), whether you’re still functioning after firmware updates have been installed. If your modem is in bridge mode does it stay in bridge mode or does it reset your modem and screw everything up? Further to that, if you’re in bridge mode and then get a firmware update, how do you know that happened? If you can’t log into the device when it is in Bridge mode how are you checking the firmware version? I’m concerned the answer is that the device is getting fully reset with these firmware updates and messing things up for people who need bridge mode only.

I don’t want to put this device in place if a firmware update at any time could change the device back to a dual purpose gateway/router and potentially interfere with my existing router and other connected devices. Would love to get some feedback on this.

56. Jono Cono on October 30, 2011 9:36 pm

Michael,

It’s been over a year now that I’ve been running my SMCD3GN in bridge mode. Like you say once it’s in bridge mode you can no longer log in as really there’s no need to when the SMCD3GN is functioning as a modem only. Having said that I have no idea what firmware is currently on my SMCD3GN or if Rogers pushes out firmware updates automatically. What I can say is nothing has ever caused it to come out of bridge mode since I configured it that way. As long as it continues to work normally I’ll never take it out of bridge mode.

Cheers

57. Lynn on October 31, 2011 10:26 am

I have disabled the Wireless function on SMCD3GN and checked the Disable All Commercial Gateway Functions box, connected the ethernet cable from one of the 4 ports to my D-Link Wireless router, one ethernet to the Analog Telephone Adaptor (ATA) from Grandstream. When I use yougetsignal.com to check the IP of the ATA, it does not have the ports open, eg. 80, 110. The Voip tech support people tell me I need to open 5060-5061, 10000-20000. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance for any input.

58. Jono Cono on October 31, 2011 4:16 pm

Lynn,

Port 80 is used for HTTP traffic and port 110 is used for POP3 email. What type of ATA do you have from Grandstream? If they advised to open those ports that would need to be done on the D-Link router. Typically it’s port forwarding so you would forward port number/range to a specific IP address.

59. Lynn on October 31, 2011 9:41 pm

Well, I checked the ports 80 and 110 for the IP of the ATA just to see if there’s any open port. Apparently not. By only using the SMCD3GN without the router function and plugging the ATA to the cable modem, I thought that would avoid the NAT issue that disrupts Voip service. Anyways, the ATA I have is HT-286. Tomorrow I will hopefully hear back from the technical support from the Voip company and end this problem.

60. DThor on November 3, 2011 9:53 pm

This thread is invaluable, thanks! Just wanted to update that I purchased a new SMC at future shop today, the rev it shipped with was 1.4.0.42-RRR. The rogcesadmin account worked, although I get the impression it may get flashed over time. I was renting a modem for a couple months, which worked fine, but now this one is dropping connection every hour or so. It drops, and recovers. To me, the only variable is the software rev.
    Anyway, I hate the notion of a crappy, potential insecure wifi, so I disabled that, plus I’m currently running as a bridge, but the dropouts happened before I did this. Anyone experienced it? I’m wondering if it’s some sort of negotiation with Master Control and the firmware needs a flash after which it will settle down.
    More info – with this release, I didn’t actually need the special account, the Disable Commercial Gateway switch was on the end user account! I thought you guys might want to know that. I don’t know if it’s due to an impending flash that will make it disappear or what, but in fact most mid to high level access was in the cusadmin account.

61. Mark on November 8, 2011 6:20 pm

Dude – this page is priceless – saved me from endless hours figuring this out. Put the router into “modem” mode and works like a charm! Just upgraded to Rogers Ultimate from Extreme and even though its sold at 50Mbps my speedtest results showing 75Mbps down and 1.9Mbps up which is … nice! ;) thanks

62. Fred on November 8, 2011 10:09 pm

I was speaking with a rogers tech about changing my SMC device bridge mode. He suggested that I did not need to rent the rogers modem as long as I bought a cable modem that featured “docsys” [to enable conversion of cable signal for internet use]; all I had to do is provide the MAC address and SN at a rogers plus store. HOwever, the sales person who I spoke to ahead of the techie, suggested I WOULD need the rogers device.

My preference would be to avoid the rental and buy my own gear. Sounds like most posts are continueng to use the rogers device as a modem in bridge mode.

63. Jono Cono on November 8, 2011 10:58 pm

Fred,

To the best of my knowledge you should be able to purchase your own DOCSIS 3.0 modem instead of renting the SMCD3GN from Rogers. The modem has to be of that specification to get the higher download speeds. In order for the modem you purchase to work on Rogers network it has to be provisioned which is where the MAC address and SN come into play. I know people who have done this albeit not painlessly. I would check with your local Rogers Plus store to verify and also see if they have a list of supported modems.

64. anonymous on November 13, 2011 12:35 am

Did you preform these test on 802.11N mode? In the WLAN settings you can specify the router to use N Greenfield instead of BGN Mixed greatly increasing interface robustness. I have found transfer speeds from a wired device to a wireless device to stay above 50 Mb per second through drywall and wood using N only on the D3GN. up to 30′ away. Also using speedtest.net is an inadequate way to measure the performance of a wireless router, as it measures WAN speed not LAN speed, at 5′ away from your router you should have a data rate of at least 40MBit/s not 21. Before you review a product at least use the correct benchmark tools. The SMC Modem is an adequate wireless N router for areas up to 500 square feet.

I do not work for Rogers or SMC, my views are not associated with anyone.

65. Jono Cono on November 13, 2011 1:07 am

Yes, tests were done using just N mode and not mixed. You’re correct that Speedtest.net measures your WAN speed and not LAN. Having said that if speedtest.net is only testing bandwidth from the test Server to the external interface of your network the results should be very close every time instead of dropping the further you move away from the router.

66. RogersRep on December 2, 2011 11:57 am

A D3 modem either purchsed or rented from Rogers is required by the system in order for you to access the Rogers network. I’ve seen a few customers come in to our store and attempt to register a non-Rogers modem to their account: our systems won’t recognize it. A D3 modem (non-wireless) appears to be in the works, though.

67. dude on December 11, 2011 12:59 am

rogcesadmin
    nas00Rn7TU

new password as of dec 8 2011

68. thankful muthaf*kr on December 14, 2011 2:48 pm

There is a god, thankyou for new login!!!

69. sad pandaaaaa on December 20, 2011 6:11 pm

I tried using the new login and password but i could not gain access to the site i did this before about 4 months ago and i dont know how all my settings got erased and my smcd3n modem is no longer in bridge mode and the wirelesss on this thing SUCKS lol

70. chipmunks on January 25, 2012 10:53 am

Hello,

My uploard usage for yesterday came up to 3Go which was equal to the download (also 3Go) done. Very weird. I’d like to see the usage from each different computer in the house (we are 4) to understand what’s going on.

Any way to get the individual usage of each IP address through the SMC router? It would be very helpful, thanks.

71. Eyal on February 15, 2012 10:49 pm

Hi,

I upgraded my service to the new Extreme Plus and got the the CISCO DPC3825. Since I am an IT consultant, I frequently connect to multiple clients via VPN connectivity. Ever since I started using this new unit my connectivity has slowed down drastically with frequent delays, hangs and disconnects throughout the day – it is very annoying. Besides putting it in bridge mode, are there any settings that I can tweak through the interface? Please let me know. Thanks.

72. Donna on February 17, 2012 11:53 am

We have the dreaded SMCD3GN. We can access it easily using username:cusadmin and password: password. And yes, the wireless is rubbish. We’ve tried using various channels, but to no avail. So now we are going to put it in bridge mode and want to use another wireless router a CISCO Linksys WAP 610N but it only has one ethernet port. So as all the ethernet ports on the SMC are disabled when you switch to bridge, any ideas on how we can access the CISCO to configure it. We also ave an old Bell Cellpipe 7310 knocking around which was used with the CISCO. Or should we just put our hands in our pocket and buy a new router full stop. Help appreciated.

73. Denis on February 18, 2012 3:58 pm

Thank you for this, I almost bought one. Because of your testing, I saved myself money and aggravation.

74. Jono Cono on February 18, 2012 6:46 pm

Hi Donna,

Since the WAP610N is just a wireless access point with no routing capabilities you wouldn’t want to put the SMCD3GN into bridge mode. Rather if you leave the SMCD3GN as it is but disable the wireless on it then you can plug the WAP into one of the available ethernet ports and then run the CD from a system on the network to configure the WAP. At that point you should be up and running with full router capabilities on the SMC and much better wireless on the WAP610N.

75. Eyal on February 19, 2012 9:57 pm

Anyone have any input on my comment a few posts above?

Thanks.

76. Jono Cono on February 20, 2012 11:30 am

Hi Eyal,

I’ve never used that particular device however just in general if you download the following PDF: http://www.cisco.com/web/consumer/support/userguides2/4021196_B.pdf and go to page 53 it will describe the possible VPN settings that can be configured. When setting up tunnels etc. it would all be dependent on the networks you’re connecting to. I know that’s not a lot of information but hopefully it will get you going.

77. Donna on February 20, 2012 11:32 am

Thanks for that advice. It has worked and we are able to get a much better wireless signal from the WAP. However, I can’t configure the WAP at all. I’ve tried to access it following the advice on the CISCO website http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=a9395fcd4f7242938566eefd9ffab198_Setting_up_the_WAP610N.xml&pid=80&respid=0&snid=4&dispid=0&cpage=search using all the IP addresses given out by the SMC on its home page. I’ve tried all of them because the SMC says some devices are connected by ethernet but they are not, only the WAP. I’ve also reset the WAP it to see if this helps but still no joy. Is there another DHCP client table that you can access on the SMC. Thanks for your help.

78. Donna on February 20, 2012 9:07 pm

OK. Done Hopeless with a Macbook. Switched to a Windows PC and I could do what I needed to. Wanted to use the 5GHZ network but it turns out the Sony Viao wireless adapters are not compatible so after all that we will need a wireless router that can broadcast 2 networks.
    Annoying. Thanks for your help.

79. Jono Cono on February 20, 2012 9:35 pm

Glad you figured it out. I wouldn’t have been any better on a Macbook. Even a lot of fairly new wireless cards aren’t compatible with 5GHz WiFi.

80. skrob on March 8, 2012 3:14 am

dude on December 11, 2011 12:59 am

rogcesadmin
    nas00Rn7TU

new password as of dec 8 2011

works for me

81. Jacques on March 11, 2012 12:18 pm

Hi! Anyone tried to connect a D-Link Powerline Network Adapter (e.g. DHP-306AV and DHP-W306AV) on a SMCD3GN?

82. Ivana on April 18, 2012 10:46 pm

Thanks so much this was extremely informative and helpful!

83. Chrome262 on April 19, 2012 10:53 pm

this is the current password and log in for rogers
    rogcesadmin/nas00Rn7TU

84. Polarbear10 on May 22, 2012 9:52 pm

Thanks Jono,

I’ve spent a whack of time setting up my router with port forwarding for vnc etc – it’s a dir-655 and I’m quite happy with it as my firewall / wireless so when I bought this SMCD3GN from Rogers I was hell a disappointed with the lack of DHCP reservation and the fact I’d have to redo my whole internal network.

You saved me a pile of work – Thanks ever so much.

May 22nd 2012 the info I used:
    rogcesadmin
    nas00Rn7TU

All the best,

The bear!

85. BreakTheChains on June 16, 2012 3:25 am

Recommended Actions Once You Get Into “rogcesadmin”:

[A] DISABLE remote management by UNCLICKING “Mso remote management” under the path “System”->”Remote Management” (on the left link bar); and then
    [B] Change the passwords under “System”->”Password Settings”

Apparently, you have at least three logins:
    1) cusadmin (for customers)
    2) rogcesadmin (for rogers techs)
    3) comadmin (for commercial techs? maybe 3rd party techs?)

Once you get into “rogcesadmin”, you can change the passwords for all three accounts.

86. BreakTheChains on June 16, 2012 2:59 pm

I got the SMCD3GN modem-router combo (or “gateway”, as Rogers calls it) and for a few days, the wireless speed was okay. But then one morning, I started getting Speedtest.net results like 0.03Mbps up to a MAX of 3Mbps.
    So I plugged in via ethernet and the SAME test got a result of 15+Mbps.

Obviously, the wifi signal is flaky as hell on this thing, even if you’re sitting right beside the modem.

Do yourselves a favour. Grab a cheap Wireless N router and enable the “Bridged Mode” by disabling the Commercial Gateway Functions.

THANKS, jonocono! :D

87. shawn on June 17, 2012 6:10 pm

non of the logins are working for me. Is there a new one. please help.

88. spacegirl on June 21, 2012 6:20 pm

Dear shawn,

I was also unable to login with rogcesadmin, but I don’t think there is a need to disable all gateway functions. I simply logged into cusadmin with default password password, disabled wifi, plugged in my airport wireless router, set up a password for the airport router, and was good to go. I’m getting 20 Mbps speeds now wirelessly, no problems with two laptops a phone and printer all online. Also I can still access the cable SMCD3GN modem settings with the same login as before.

At this point I don’t know why it would be necessary to log into rogcesadmin at all — perhaps someone can clarify. In any case the latest password for that account is now different for anything I’ve found.

89. Jack on July 6, 2012 5:15 pm

Sorry, old thread… If i use the “Disable All Commercial Gateway Functions” does the modem still stay a Docsis 3 or does it revert to Docsis 2? I know, stupid question, but i got another stupid question: If i Disable all commercial gateway functions, will the gigabit port (LAN1) that i use to connect to my D-Link DIR-655 still function as a gigabit port and deliver full 10/100/1000 speed? Also, a piece of info: If you use the cusadmin/password account, and go under system, you can disable all commercial gateway functions as well.

90. Jono Cono on July 7, 2012 12:07 pm

Hey Jack,

If you Disable All Commercial Gateway Functions on the SMCD3GN it will still remain a DOCSIS 3 modem. Likewise the ports will still remain Gigabit, however unless you’re piping in some massive download speed from your ISP it won’t really matter. For instance Rogers highest Internet package is 75Mbps down. Until Rogers starts to man up and offer much faster download speeds like Bell and exceed 100Mbps down it’s a moot point. Cheers!

91. Mediaman on July 25, 2012 8:04 pm

I am picking up this modem in a few days (Rogers- Ontario) to repace a D2 modem. I have my own gigabit wired/wireless network so I only want to use this device as a cable modem only.

I am confused as to which of the following four terms are simply descriptions and which are real settings ! :

1-disable all commerical gateway functions
    2-enabling bridge mode
    3-disabling wireless
    4-use a as cable modem only

My understanding is:

“1″ is a setting per the first screenshot
    “2″ is just a description of “1″ – no real setting.
    “3″ is a setting ( but where?) and is irrelavent if “1″ is set to disable
    “4″ is just a description – same as “2″

QUESTIONS:

a) Have I got that right?
    b) What the latest set of usernames/password to get into setup to perform “1″.

92. Jono Cono on July 25, 2012 8:46 pm

Mediaman,

1: You are correct
    2: Correct again.
    3: It is a setting and a description. If you leave the default SSID enabled (broadcasting) even though you disable all commercial gateway functions you will still see that as an available wireless network although you won’t be able to connect to or use it. Really it’s just an annoyance. You should be able to find the settings under the wireless section.
    4: Correct.

There’s quite a few different logins noted above but I’m unable to verify which currently work.

93. Mediaman on July 27, 2012 9:04 am

So what’s the bottom line on the earlier question of pushed firmware updates unknowingly taking one out of bridge mode?

On one hand, I assume one is somewhat “immune”, if commercial gateway was disabled, wireless off, password chagned etc… correct?

I also assume the above means one would never receive a legit firmware update ie for bug fixes, performance improvements etc… but that said, I would expect that there really are no more “desired” firmware updates planned for this unit.

94. Mediaman on July 27, 2012 9:24 am

At the risk of stating the obvious, kudos again for creating an amazing blog, and helping so many people in the process!

95. indo.canadian on September 13, 2012 1:43 pm

Hi:

Thanks for sharing all this valuable information.

I’ve recently bought this gateway at a very cheap price and I already have a cable modem that’s in service and working properly.

Question – can this gateway be used as a standalone N router?

This is what I’ve tried so far:
    I’ve setup the wi-fi SSID and encryption etc. I am able to connect to this SSID from my laptop and I get an excellent signal strength with this gateway in my basement and my laptop on the ground floor. When I plug in the LAN cable from my existing in-service cable modem into LAN 1 port of this gateway, I don’t get any internet access from my laptop. My understanding is that the LAN 1 – LAN 4 ports are basically a “switch”, so if any one of them has internet access enabled, the rest will just share that access. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

If it’s possible to use this as a standalone N router, please advise how I can set it up.

Thanks.

96. Chriz on September 14, 2012 5:31 pm

Hello.

I am not able to read the smc.cfg file after I have backed it up on my local PC. It seems to be encrypted, compressed or binary.

Has anyone else experienced the same issue.

Thx

97. Curt on October 3, 2012 8:08 am

I don’t even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was great. I don’t know
    who you are but definitely you’re going to a famous blogger if you are not already ;) Cheers!

98. susan on October 20, 2012 5:16 pm

Hi, found this very interesting as we are about to kick Rogers to the curb and go to Teksavvy. I realize that TekSavvy is using the same system as Rogers but we have a separate modem and router. I am researching routers to determine which to buy and am interested if you have any suggestions. Scenario is:
    - home based biz with one file server computer plus 1 wired CPU and a wired docking station for my laptop. We are also wired for 2 Xbox system, 2nd one went wired because wireless connectivity sucked! High speed doesn\’t count if you can connect LOL. Also wired are 2 network printers. Wireless connections at any given point include 2 iphones, laptop (same laptop discussed above in wired).
    - I found that I could not use wireless for certain biz functions as the connection would drop enough to lose connection with the fileserver and the file would lose data and/or become corrupted.

I already own a Linksys WRT300N Wireless N router that I have pulled since putting in the Rogers combo unit.

I welcome any feedback you can give me.

99. Jono Cono on October 20, 2012 5:32 pm

Hi Susan,

Sounds like you have 6 wired devices on the network which would exceed available ports on the router. My suggestion for a great home router would be an Amped wireless R20000G if you want dual band or otherwise an R10000G for single band N wireless. These are high powered wireless routers with amazing range. It really doesn’t get any better. They also have gigabit ethernet ports so if you combine that with a gigabit switch you can easily get all your wired and wireless devices on your network. I’ve deployed many of these for large homes and also large office spaces and they work great. You can check out their routers here: http://www.ampedwireless.com/family/routers.html

100. susan on October 21, 2012 11:19 am

Hi, yes, 6 wired. I guess I forgot to mention that I have an ethernet port as well. I ran the speedtest just now on my laptop (upstairs one floor and opposite side of house) and the speed is 3.5 mbps and I have Rogers Extreme which should be 28 mbps.

I will look into those routers. Is there any advantage to the dual band vs the single band?

Susan

101. susan on October 21, 2012 11:25 am

oh, one more question if I may.

I still want to have the laptop connected when doing live tax prep so I need to run a cable. I have the file server in the same room I will be in and it is currently wired to the router. Is there any issue with using a splitter on the cable coming from the router to the fileserver and running it to the 2 computers? I am concerned about degrading the traffic from the fileserver to the router by splitting it. Or is there another solution to connect the laptop to the network by directly connecting to the fileserver computer. BTW, the fileserver computer is not a NAS but is a full CPU.

102. Jono Cono on October 22, 2012 9:23 am

Hi Susan,

Dual band will allow you to connect via either the 2.4GHz or 5.0GHz wireless bands. The benefits of this is that 2.4GHz only has 3 non-overlapping channels which get crowded by all the other devices that operate in that band, phones, microwaves, etc. 5GHz has 23 non-overlapping channels so it’s much cleaner. You can also benefit from twice the bandwidth although there is decreased range. It’s important to note that the portable devices you’re connecting to the network are 5GHz compatible. Older devices are not capable of using the 5GHz band, of course when it’s dual band those devices will default to using the 2.4GHz band.

Regarding connecting the laptop…Without decent wireless right now hard wiring is not an issue. If there are not enough ports on the router currently the best thing to do would be investing in a 5 or 8 port Gigabit switch. You would run one network cable from the router to the switch which will provide network connection for all other hardwired devices plugged into the switch. I don’t think you’ll degrade traffic as your LAN will likely operate at 100Mbps speeds if not Gigabit.

103. Todd on October 27, 2012 10:35 am

Two questions if I bridge modem do I have to have a gigabit router or would a 10/100mbps one be good for now {planning on upgrading router in future)also I can only get in to cusadmin (for customers) can not get into any of others even with all passwords here
    2) rogcesadmin (for rogers techs)
    3) comadmin (for commercial techs? maybe 3rd party techsre} even tried mso one, I had once got into rogesadmin in past maybe I changed password and did not realize it and I don’t know the one for comadmin. Any way to reset it all and try again? thanks for the info

104. Michael on October 27, 2012 2:02 pm

I am just commenting here because I hate Rogers. I was forced to buy a SMC3GN because the condo I was living in included Rogers cable in the maintenance fees. When I moved to a house I brought my SMCD3GN with me. I informed Rogers that I had bought my own SMCD3GN and didn’t require the rental modem that was at the house. It took Rogers almost a year to be able to make the switch , both technically and from the standpoint of billing. I continued to pay for rental modem for a year because Rogers technicians couldn’t figure out how to activate the modem I purchased.

Furthermore the rental modem set up a firewall so that I could not access my own web domain, website or email. The technician could not figure out the reason for this so that I had to go to the local cyber cafe to send and receive email although Rogers was charging me for premium internet and cable services even though I had repeatedly contacted them and asked to have the services changed to basic until the modem problem was fixed.

In complete frustration I finally cancelled my account with Rogers informing them I had no intention of paying the final bill that amounted to over a $700 dollars. Now I have a $150 SMCD3GN that I can’t seem to use for much of anything.

Hopefully now that I can at least login to the modem thanks to this forum I may be able to use the modem.

BOYCOTT ROGERS!

105. Jono Cono on October 28, 2012 9:21 am

Todd,

You can reset the SMCD3GN back to factory defaults by pressing and holding the reset button on the back for 30 seconds. Regarding the router…Gigabit is not required 10/100 will work fine as well.

106. Todd on October 28, 2012 1:56 pm

Will this allow me to get in to bridge it under rogcesadmin?

107. allan b on January 14, 2013 12:42 am

hello you seem to be very knowledgeable about routers so i would like to ask you about my issue. in oct 2011 i startedmy phone service through Talkit.ca. in nov 2012, i started having problems with it. people would call it wouldnt ring or go to the ringer. i phoned talkit several times they told me to do a few things and then said it was fine which it isnt. i emailed their tech support and they are saying i should do the following:

You may need to download the latest firmware for you’re router (this will change your Rupert settings and may change any configurations that you have set) you should contact your router manufacturer before doing this

Next,
    Open the following Ports in your router:

5000-5004
    5060-5064
    10000-20000
    does this sound right? is this going to fix the issues i am having with this phone? im not overly skilled at computer tasks. any advice on this would be greatly appreciated

108. Jono Cono on January 14, 2013 11:26 pm

Hey Allan B.

You could download a firmware update for your Router and while it may not overwrite any current settings, manufacturers always advise that it will because they don’t want to be held liable in case something goes wrong. I’ve done many firmware updates on routers without having it get wiped to factory defaults. Having said that I would also advise you to err on the side of caution and back-up your current config or otherwise make note of settings so you can reconfigure it if so needed.

Opening ports or port ranges shouldn’t be too bad. You will need to log into your router and access the appropriate page. If you have a D-Link router with the default setting for example you would browse to: 192.168.0.1 and put in the username and password which is typically admin/blank or admin/admin. The ports or port ranges can’t just be opened but rather must forward to another network device. In this case it will be your talkit. You will need to know the IP address of that device and whether or not it’s dynamically assigned, static or there is otherwise a DHCP reservation on the router so that it always has the same IP. The ports will then need to be forwarded to that IP. Hope this helps.

109. Chris on February 15, 2013 1:40 pm

Hi there
    We are having problems with our SMCD3GN. Lately it has been acting up so we did a reset by holding down the back button for 30 sec. When it came back our network name is gone and instead we are seeing Rogers81E7C. Problem is that it’s asking for a password and our old one doesn’t work. Tried all the ones listed here and nothing.
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks!!!

110. Jono Cono on February 17, 2013 8:20 am

Hi Chris,

The usernames and passwords listed here are to access the administration console of the SMCD3GN. What you’re referring to is the default SSID for the wireless network. You would have to log into the SMCD3GN using your web browser and the default IP address. At that point you can set the SSID to what it used to be as well as security features and whatever password you would like.

111. how to increase ranking in google on February 19, 2013 4:46 pm

Wow that was odd. I just wrote an incredibly long comment
    but after I clicked submit my comment didn’t show up. Grrrr… well I’m not writing
    all that over again. Regardless, just wanted to say excellent blog!

112. Maxx on March 3, 2013 6:05 pm

Hi, Jono

Thank you for sharing your knowledge. I got a question. I recently switched from Rogers to Taksavvy, the SMCD3GN is one of the approved modem with Taksavvy. However, it seems to be blocked by Rogers, every time I use it to access the internet, it will lead me to the Rogers website. I have tried your “cusadmin” log in above, but not sure what should I do to unlock it. Can you please give me some advise? Thank you.

113. Jono Cono on March 4, 2013 7:23 pm

Hi Maxx,

It sounds like a couple different things are going on here. If Teksavvy has already set up your SMCD3GN but you cannot surf the web normally they may have not provisioned your modem correctly on their network.

Second thing is that if you want to log directly into the modem/router to configure settings you would have to browse to the default IP of the device and then used the credentials above to login.

114. Joann on March 31, 2013 12:14 pm

Joann…

Rogers N Gateway – SMCD3GN at Dynamically Distinct Discourse…

115. Tamir on April 3, 2013 3:28 pm

Hey everyone,

I recently upgraded to the highest internet package with Rogers and was given the SMCD3GN modem. I am wondering how I can go about getting my IP address changed from the current one I have?

116. Read the Full Post on April 11, 2013 7:31 am

Read the Full Post…

Rogers N Gateway – SMCD3GN at Dynamically Distinct Discourse…

117. Vin on April 14, 2013 9:22 pm

Hi JonoCono,

Amazing job on this blog.. reading what you have written was very useful. I was trying to connect my USB hard disk to my network but was unable to do so through the SMCD3GN. So I went out and got a DLink DIR 657 router from FS. Connected in bridge mode. The router is great but funnily enough my connection drops intermittently – at least once or twice a day. Never had this problem before when i had the gateway.

I checked MTU – it 1500 on the DLink Admin page. Firmware check through the login page says I have (Jan 2012 v1.01)is the latest (though I suspect that there is one issued in March too). Any ideas suggestions why my wifi connection is dropping?
    Thanks

Name (required)

Email (required... will not be published)

Website

Share your wisdom

Anti-spam image

RSS

• Check it out

Innovation only matters if it does something that matters to you!

Meta